Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sex in Commercials

The original heading for this post was Sexual Innuendos in Commercials but after meditating a bit I realized that they are not even innuendos it is just too blatant. I am noticing a disturbing trend in some radio ads that I have been hearing. I am an avid listener of the Red 96.7 morning show. Those guys are the best and are always guaranteed to put a smile on your face to start the day. Of course I am jealous that they are having so much fun and they are still getting paid to do it. But that is a different story.

The main culprit and in my opinion the most annoying is Boomers. I guess we could say that Boomers is the local Subway. I must add here that I have never eaten at Boomers. The commercial starts off with a woman in a very seductive voice asking “Have you got the balls?” The guy responds “Who me? I am not sure what you mean.” This tells me that he and all think she talking about something else. I mean how is it that they came up with that for a meatball melt sub sandwich commercial. It does not even make the sandwich seem enticing or tasty. However I am not really sure which culture the ad was supposed to be targeting because maybe somewhere in the world “balls” are considered tasty.

I think corporate citizens need to be cognizant of the subliminal messages that are being sent in their advertising. They cannot realistically expect that these things would not have an impact the youths of our society. I am big and I have sense. But can you imagine a child hearing that commercial and going to school and asking a fellow student or even a teacher very innocently but in the same seductive voice “Have you got the balls?”

The other culprit that is worthy of mention in this nonsense is Full Throttle Energy Drink, which is a product of the Coca Cola Company. But I guess the old adage sex sells is being maximized by Corporate T&T. This is where I have to remind myself that I love Trinidad and have faith and know for sure that we are better and more creative than that. Pretty soon we would have to be giving parental advisory ratings to commercials. Boomers would of course get an NC17. I would hate to see the television version of some of these ads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin