Sunday, May 16, 2010

To My Grandfather

This thing called life is so strange. We often spend hours maybe even a lifetime trying to make sense of things that have happened to us. My life similar to anyone else’s has had some interesting turns which I appreciate because they all add up to make me the unique individual that I am today. My paternal grandfather has lived in Trinidad for as long as I have known yet still I have never seen the man. He and my grandmother divorced before I was born. I grew up not knowing either of my grandfathers and this was normal, I saw nothing wrong with it because it was what I knew. A few years ago I came to the realization that my mother also did not know who her father was. For some reason unknown to us my grandmother never divulged this information. It is not my place to question why my grandmother chose nondisclosure, that is her business. She was a strong, wise woman and I know that she would never act with malice or ill will. Therefore she would have done what she thought was best in the situation. My mother did some digging and discovered her father. So into our lives came this wonderful man who did not even know we existed. He accepted us with open arms and an open heart. Now I have a very cool Grandad (who reads my blog by the way). This has opened up a whole branch of my family tree. It is a new and exciting journey for us and we will cherish every moment of it because we definitely don’t have time for coulda shoulda woulda.

So Grandad today is your day. I want to wish you a very Happy Birthday!!! I wish you God’s richest blessings today and everyday and I hope you have a wonderful day.

3 comments:

  1. awwwwww .... too tweet!

    Trinidad Lover ... you write some of the nicest family posts ... like your Mother's Day post and now this one ....

    Happy Birthday to you Trinidad Lover's Grandpa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wuzdescene. I am sure my Grandad would appreciate the Birthday greeting. I am still amazed that he reads my blog, that is the coolest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sweet...happy belated Birthday greetings to your Grandpa. Sounds like he's a very cool character (reading blogs and all that)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin