Thursday, October 1, 2009

Highway Market


Over the past few years I have noticed an upsurge in the number of highway vendors. I am referring here to the vendors who ply their trade on the highway walking between the lanes of traffic. I have also noticed a proliferation of the range of products being sold. The products available in the highway market include but are not limited to newspapers, some mosquito tennis rack thing, hats, steering wheel covers, chow, chive, pineapple, a variety of drinks, kites, seasonal items for Christmas, mother’s day and father’s day and finally the ever popular nuts.

I respect and admire these entrepreneurs because Lord knows they could have opted to be criminals instead of the hard working individuals that they are. However I think this industry has gone too far. First off it is dangerous both for the vendors and drivers. I say this because you know how we Trinis love to change lanes randomly. Add to that the occasional motorcycle or scooter and it is an accident waiting to happen. Secondly, it is annoying, Trinis want to stop on the highway to browse the wide array of selections, negotiate a discount all while the traffic flowing ahead of them. I don't even want to talk about the drivers who want to pay for a pack of nuts with a hundred dollar bill and expect to get change.

While I applaud the efforts of these individuals in their attempt to make an honest living, I really think this needs to be stopped. But as long as it continues to take people two hours to get home the market for drinks and nuts and other items would remain vibrant, because people just plain hungry. Until we solve the bigger problem of traffic this booming business would continue to expand. Do you shop at the Highway Market? If yes, What items do you purchase? If no, why not?

4 comments:

  1. It is a dangerous practice but I must admit a beastly cold Apple J or Lucozade has saved me on many a tedious trip stuck in traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candi I know the feeling, and I cannot fault you for endulging in the Highway Market because I swear everyday it takes me a little longer to get home. All while my belly growling. Pressure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could totally relate tuh what yuh sayin .... but I think that right now .... the highway market .... is a necessary evil .... cuz when yuh stuck in ah traffic .... an yuh belly start tuh grumble .... ah pack ah cashew does go down jus rite .... cuz it could hold yuh nice til yuh reach home .... but ting like mosquito racket and windmill an ting .... da'is jus crap ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where else will I find that elusive pommecythere, mango and pine chow in that dreg of traffic. Now with overpriced beverages to kill the flames of fire they douse it with.

    Dangerous - yes, legal - no, a fan - definitely.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin