Monday, March 15, 2010

Water Problems in T&T

This morning when I woke up it was raining. I don’t know how long it had been raining, but I was thankful for the rain. Although I am thankful, I am not naive to think that fifteen minutes of rain fall is going to solve the water problems in the country. I was thankful for the rain because I hoped that it would have extinguished some of the bush fires that have been burning for almost two weeks now, specifically the one on the southern side of the Beetham. I have been blessed in that I do not even have a tank and I always have an uninterrupted supply of water. Also strange enough my main problem would have been low water pressure but during this period of water restriction the water pressure has been excellent. Being mindful of the fact that there are a number of people who are without a regular supply of water I have followed the instructions of the Water and Sewage Authority. I have not washed my car, wash down my yard or use my hose for the year. However I cannot say the same for some of the people in my neighbourhood. Imagine that people are simply getting up in the very early hours of the morning to water their plants using a hose. This is not even a kitchen garden, I am talking about decorative plants and lawn. The beautiful thing about lawn grass is that it would withstand drought, winter and other harsh conditions and when the environment returns to conditions conducive to its growth, it grows back. Amazing isn’t it? The fact that people are getting up in the very early hours of the morning to wet their plants using a hose it tells us that they are aware that what they are doing is wrong. Pretty soon even the areas that traditionally had a constant water supply would be affected and these are the same people who would blame the government for not providing water.

How has the water shortage in the country affected you? Do you think that members of the public should report water wasters to the WASA Police?

3 comments:

  1. i would love to know where you live, where u actually get an uninterrupted supply of water. and for all those people who are wasting water like its their god given right, you should not even think twice about complaining about them to the authorities or even tell them urself that how dare they waste water on mundane things when thousands of people in this country donot get water for weeks.
    I live in lange park and this morning all the tanks were empty because we havent had any water supply for days now.
    i dont understand how in todays age when the television or radio is in every house, how can people not know when there is such a huge problem in one's country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE FOR GOD'S SAKE, DONT LET STUPID PEOPLE WASTE SOMETHING SO PRECIOUS AS WATER. WATER RIGHT NOW SHOULD BE THE MOST VALUABLE THING FOR PEOPLE. WE MUST NOT WATCH PEOPLE WASTE WATER, WASHING THEIR CARS, USING HOSES TO WATER THEIR PLANTS, OR CLEANING THEIR YARDS.
    IT IS UNFAIR VERY UNFAIR WHEN OTHERS DONOT EVEN HAVE THE PRIVILEGE OF GETTING WATER ONCE A WEEK.
    WE MUST TELL THESE ARROGANT PEOPLE TO STOP AND STOP IMMEDIATELY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in east Trinidad. I am truly sorry to hear about your water shortage in Chaguanas. I had a chat recently with one of my neighbours and I no longer see the individual wasting water.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin